Saturday, June 26, 2010

SUR KHAMBAT

CANTO I
1
The Heavenly Brow of Lord
Reflects sign of glowing goodness;
To the terrace of praying souls
HE will steal softly, and them bless;
Who could match with the Matchless;
Moons and suns, all of the universe.
2
Now night is lit path is plain but yet to Him is great distance;
So going to Him my earthly brute
Hither and thither ne ye glance;
Maintin such measured stance
As take us there, but well in time
3
The night is lit and path is plain
Yet we need His ghostly grace;
Let you then my brother self!
On Holy Tough, thy hunger train;
Tell I this in confidence
So speak not to vulgar vain;
Hailing ye O full and fain,
Go out making asses seethe.
4
Night is lit and path is plain
O festinate, our love is new;
Treading out to such a Friend
O one should strain every sinew;
Nightly so Him we may view
Know not his the nincompoops.
5
This night too, in my lowly hut
A light shines like the fourteenth moon;
Me-thins HE’s coming to me,
Turns to me the Nightly Noon;
Come HE did, the Blessing Boon,
Before the day was out to break.
6
Rose up HE like Fourteen Moon,
Vulgar saw It twenty-nine;
O defile not His Holy Shine,
Ask of me, but what you would.
7
Let there rise, though several suns
And soar on high the myriad moons;
Sans Him, by God all those boons,
Deem I but as dead darkness.
8
O moon! Thy whole race I can’t match
With the One Who is Matchless One;
You doth shine in night alone
HE’s but bright, and evermore.
9
O that, black evil posses you moon!
At very sunset you’ve soared on high;
Spread you darkness round the sky
That go i, and could meet my friend.
10
O moon! May I tell you the truth
If you shall not anrily know
Two eyes, one nose and the brow,
O you have not these of my beloved one.
11
Lifting up His languorous eyes
Looked HE when in loving grace;
Bearns of sun were bedimmed all,
Wen on wane the moon’s surface;
Pleiads, starts said their penance
Lunging in their lowly place;
Te light itself last its face,
Seeing the beauty of Beloved One.
12
In dead of night and dark of world
Unveiled HE while face to me;
The moon with his race did flee
And vanished into dark abyss;
13
See I to you O morning star!
Ever again wit wistful eyes;
Whence on sky on sky you doth rise
There you resides too Radiant Sun.
CANTO II
1
Going up on sky first O moon!
Train your sights unto him;
Then the state of lowly spirits here
For God’s sake before Him croon;
Then say daily our eyes, O boon!
Are looking out on your way, in the hope.
2
Sending your sights to sky
First O moon, bend your beams to Him;
Then what I say you the worlds
Tell the same to Him, on that side verbatim;
“That O Love! All through infinitum,
eyes have been ever looking for you”.
3
Soar O moon! And see Him,
To you He is near and out to me away;
Reposes HE there, in the cool breeze of sky
His tresses seentling with heavenly spray;
“By foot I cannot reach Him
and Father won’t send me, His mount” O Say;
On riding by whom there I may,
Tread at midnight, yet prepare at sundown.
4
Ah but, let me die here longing
My He be happy out there, tough away;
Father won’t send His mount oh nay,
And by foot, I am unable to go there
5
Oh, these hailstorms and winds
Look! My earthly brute has fallen on knee;
Damn him though I re-saddle he
Rise shall not, but except by beating.
6
Re-saddle, I yet he won’t rise
And rise shall he by lashing only;
Where his herd went there stands he,
And looks out with the wistful eyes.
7
Leave this dilying dallying O brute!
Tread on to Him, with all the haste;
O for once make me meet my Friend
All through this wordly waste;
Enter your bones will O lest
The curse of we, the woe-be-gones
8
Recognize the difference O animal!
Between real home and caravnseai;
Thy race is of great names and fame
From of old in realness, why
So do me old goodness thy
That’s in your grain, my good sir!
9
The animal now, goes not with the herd
Nor shall crop with them the food;
The arrow of Good One struck him,
So seems, and saped his bood;
Now renouncing even fear of rood,
Would trudge along, the path of Love.
10
Though he may go with the herd
Yet he’ll browse at bough heavelnly;
O mother, of my animal now
See not the foot-marks earthly;
With the world though wordly
But by soul will feed on that food.
11
The camel eats not now clover-buds
Spurns trefoil, only ruminates in;
Yester-night he ingested through eyes
Full-blowing flowers of the welkin;
He is now fully sated within,
He had ‘adtaste of sandalwood tree.
12
And what so and whence, he has
Thus tasted the celestial tree;
That breaking all bonds he
Shall run away there, the infatuate one.
13
So it was best that I, O best!
Raised to you the bastinado;
That picking up my cue so,
You did negotiate that path unto Him.
14
Go and stand now, at the shore of Khambhat
And watch wistfully out there;
O that come might from where,
Good news to us from the All Good One.
15
Now I, though be warning Him
He wont from upon vine stay away;
The creeper that has convulsed many
He’ld to it his facny lay;
Around though’re sprouting about
Many a plant in gay array;
Ah, my spirit is gone astray,
And makes me weep tears of blood.
16
Up you, impede him
Left to itself he’ll be wantonly free;
Bring you would food for thought
He’ll be wantonly free
Bring you would food for thought
He’ll away in the fancies flee;
Fix some hobbies on his knee,
That while grazing, he groaning be.
17
O who has such cast upon you spell?
And thus bamboozled you O beast?
That bound with bands on your eyes
Run you and run, mad in a roundel;
How is’t forsaking your herd O camel
Go you about so glued to wheel.
18
May I bind him now with many
A chain
Myriad of shackles, teters and fetters;
Comes to him when His thought again,
By one start, he breaks them all.
19
Precious is my earthly beast
Purchased I him at great price;
Say not he is costly, least,
O he is become beauty of my eyes.
20
Valuable is thy earthly self
Pay its price and lead it by;
Unto him spice, in Manger give
And keep you on a good supply;
Measure he won’t then the sky
As you will saddle so shall reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment